Featured Post

ZION NATIONAL PARK UTAH This image was made during the fall of 2015 in SW Utah. It was one of three parks that we visited on this tri...

Monday, October 24, 2011

TOM LUCAS DUBOIS, WY 2011


If you ever happen to pass through central Wyoming heading west toward the Wind River Range, stop by the Silver Sage Gallery in Dubois and say howdy to Tom Lucas. He and his partner own and operate this neat western gallery.

When we made our Wyoming trip back in mid September, I made it a point to stop by, and there sat Tom working on another new western painting. Tom is a realist, and his paintings are just astounding; displaying exquisite detail. I will have to admit, this is the first time I have ever seen an artist working with their favorite pal tucked under their arm, but Tom made it look easy.

Our paths crossed early on when we lived in Wyoming, and what immediately drew me to Tom was his skill in flintknapping. He is a real pro when it comes to making stone arrow heads and other primitive implements. But his greatest accomplishment, in my opinion, are his horn bows. I first saw him on Wyoming Public Television, and he went through the entire process of making and shooting an original horn bow. Now, folks, that takes real skill and countless hours of patience. The horn for his bows comes from the Big Horn Sheep which live in the Wind River Mountains of Wyoming.

Making wood bows and arrows was also one of my favorite pass times over the decades, and I still do a bit of leather work in my spare time. Small stuff compared to the days when I was making quivers and arm guards from steer hides.


Visit Tom's web site at: http://www.silversagegallery.com/

Left click on the illustration above to view a large image of Tom.

No comments:

Post a Comment