Featured Post

ZION NATIONAL PARK UTAH This image was made during the fall of 2015 in SW Utah. It was one of three parks that we visited on this tri...

Sunday, October 16, 2011

THE LAST DAY OF FALL COLOR FOR 2011


This image is a fine example of why it helps to live in an area for a year or so prior to making a major photographic documentary. It gives you a chance to scope out the area. I first spotted this location overlooking the Uncompahgre River and San Juan Range two years ago, and last year about this same time, I thought I had it nailed to the wall, but the color just had not quite reached the point where the image could equal this one which I made two days ago.

It was one of those landscapes which was waiting for me several miles south of town, and that gave me a chance to observe the various color changes over a period of time. I arrived at the site about ten in the morning and here is the end result. All of the elements came together as I had previsualized them.

Many of the images which I posted on this blog were made under similar circumstances, and there are quite a number of landscapes which required me to wait for several years before the lighting and subject matter were as close to perfect as I could ask for.

My trusty fifty-year-old tripod, which has been through many a great adventure over the decades, made it possible to capture this image as planned. And yes, I used a polarizing filter which helped to hold the sky and a few soft clouds together in the background.










Left click on image for larger view.










No comments:

Post a Comment